The National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME) was founded in 1990 to bring together individuals from all academic levels and disciplines and from diverse educational institutions, and other organizations, occupations and communities who had an interest in multicultural education. NAME is committed to a philosophy of inclusion that embraces the basic tenets of democracy and cultural pluralism.
NAME celebrates cultural and ethnic diversity as a national strength that enriches a society and rejects the view that diversity threatens the fabric of a society. NAME believes that multicultural education promotes equity for all regardless of culture, ethnicity, race, language, age, gender, sexual orientation, belief system or exceptionality. NAME believes that multicultural education enables the individual to believe in one’s own intrinsic worth and culture, to transcend monoculturalism and, ultimately, to become multicultural. This developmental process is at the center of the individual’s quest to define one’s relationship and responsibility to our global society. NAME recognizes that individuals have not always been and perhaps never will be in complete agreement regarding the definitions and goals of multicultural education — and that continuing debate is healthy.
In order to maintain the highest standard of conduct within NAME and to enable NAME to continue its mission, it adopts the following Code of Ethics which applies to all paid staff, volunteer office holders, and committee members.
No paid staff, volunteer office holder or committee members shall:
- Use or permit to use the NAME logo, endorsement, services, or property of NAME for the benefit or advantage of any individual, except in conformance with NAME policy.
- Use his/her NAME affiliation for financial gain, other than nominal value for his/herself or others.
- Use his/her NAME affiliation in connection with the promotion of political agendas, religious matters, or positions on any issue not in conformity with the position of NAME.
- Act or speak so as to influence the conduct of NAME in order to gain personal financial benefit, or for the benefit of any entity or individual with which the individual has a significant relationship, interest or affiliation, or
- Act in any way that is contrary to the best interests of NAME.
In the event that a paid staff, volunteer office holder or committee member becomes aware of a potential conflict of interest, the individual shall disclose such conflict to NAME as soon as he/she becomes aware of it. Further, they shall absent him/herself from the room during deliberations, and shall refrain from voting in connection with the matter. The individual shall not permit his/her presence at the meeting to be counted in determining whether there exists a quorum.