10 Simple Steps to Starting a NAME Chapter
NOTE – A state/province country can have more than one NAME chapter OR the state/province/country can have one chapter and smaller sub-chapters in different parts of the state/province/country.
1. Select an organizing chapter planning committee of local NAME members. A group of three to five people is an ideal beginning.
2. With the organizing committee, select a working name for your organizing chapter. (This name can be changed later if the chapter elects to do so.)
3. Contact your Regional Director and NAME Executive Director at Bette@NAMEorg.org, with your organizing contact information.
You can find your RDs name & contact info of the NAME website http://nameorg.org/board-of-directors/
We will post a notice that you are forming an organizing group and include your organizing chapter information on the NAME website.
4. Request a NAME membership list for your area (from the NAME office, at the email address, above. Be sure to cc- your regional director in this request.) You are welcome to have a past members list, as well. This is a great opportunity to get past members to re-engage with NAME.
Using the area membership list, reach out to current NAME members in your area and invite them select your organizing chapter, as their NAME chapter, by logging in to the members area of the NAME website and selecting your organizing chapter from the chapter list. During this outreach process you can also invite these folks to join your efforts in developing the chapter. Your RD or the NAME ED can help you with this process.
5. Invite others in your area to join the organizing chapter. Also, invite past NAME members to rejoin NAME and join your chapter. Your regional director and the NAME national office can work with you on strategies for local outreach. Also, consider reaching out to other successful chapters and asking what strategies worked well for them
6. Encourage new people to join NAME, via the NAME website.
It is quick and easy for people to join NAME and your chapter online at www.nameorg.org/membership. During the process, they simply have to select your organizing chapter, when they are prompted to select a chapter. (Chapter membership is by self-selection. Some of our members prefer to be members at large)
7. Hold an organizing chapter meeting, in person or virtually. During the meeting write your Chapter by-laws and select your Chapter Founding Officers. For guidance you can download NAME Chapter Bylaws Template. Your Regional Director and the NAME National Office can help with this process.
8. Stay in touch with your Regional Director to track the number of people joining the chapter.
To formally initiate your chapter, you need 10 paid members in the NAME database.
NOTE–Please do not just gather 10 names to submit to create your chapter. The chapter member count is based on paid members in the NAME database. Please have members join and select your organizing chapter online.
9. Once the organizing chapter has at least 10 paid members, in the NAME system, submit all of your organizing chapter information to your Regional Director, at the the email address listed on the NAME website and to the NAME Executive Director, Bette@NAMEorg.org, for a vote of the NAME board.
Include the following information, when you submit your organizing chapter for vote:
~Founding chapter officers
~Founding chapter by-laws
10. The NAME Board will be provided with all of your chapter information and will vote to charter your chapter.
Once the Board has voted, your NAME Chapter is official!
To assist in the organization of new chapters:
CLICK TO Download NAME’s GENERIC Chapter Bylaws_Template
If you are interest in helping organize a new NAME chapter,
please let us know so we can help get the word out!
Email your Regional Director and NAME@nameorg.org
Region 1 – Regional Director: DaVerne S. Bell, Burlington VT Schools
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont
Director of Diversity Education & Engagement, Burlington VT City Schools
Region 2 – Regional Director: Melba Venison
Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
Region 3 – Regional Director: Otilia Salmón
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
College of Education and Human Services
Department of Foundations and Secondary Education
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, Fl 32224
Region 4 – Regional Director: Robin Brenneman
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
4105 Saturn Road
Hilliard OH 43026
Region 5 – Regional Co-Directors: E.L. Walter-Sullivan and Omiunota Ukpokodu
Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
Western Governors University
Phone: 877.435.7948 ext. 4286
University of Missouri–Kansas City
309 School of Education, Teacher Education
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110
Region 6 – Regional Director: Rachelle Rogers-Ard
Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming
Rachelle Rogers Ard
Oakland Teach for Tomorrow
Region 7 – Regional Director: Chris Knaus
Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, Washington
University of Washington-Tacoma
Region 8 –Regional Director: Ann Lopez
American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Virgin Islands, Sovereign Nations within the U.S., International Members, and Indigenous Peoples
University of Toronto
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education