Don't miss the NAME-Cuba 2019 Exchange & Research trip 11/22-12/1
2019 NAME-Cuba Cultural/Professional Research & Exchange Trip Details and Fees
NAME's November, 2019 trip to Cuba is fast approaching!
Because the White House Administration changed some of the guidelines to go to Cuba and eliminated some categories altogether, we had to make some adjustments to the trip to comply with the current requirements.
This is our 6th trip to Cuba. NAME's first trip was in 2015 and we have worked with the same group in Cuba for every trip. Some of that group are now part of the Cuba-NAME Chapter, so they understand who NAME is as an organization and why we are interested in understanding more about Cuba.
The cost of the trip, deadlines, participation requirements and an overview of activities are all included, below.
This trip is by application only. All participants must be NAME members. If you are not a current member, you will be asked to join if you would like to be a part of the trip.
NAME-Cuba 2019 Cultural/Professional Research & Exchange Trip November 22-December 2, 2019
$2795 double occupancy room (plus a $500 supplemental fee for a single room, if desired)
Trip fee includes*:
Accommodations at group hotels - Nov. 22-Dec 1
all breakfasts & lunches in Cuba
5 dinners included
Cuban airport transfers with group
Bus transportation for in-country excursions
Scheduled group excursions and meetings
In-country travel includes the following cities:
- Santa Clara
Note: International airfare will be coordinated for the group and will be an additional fee of approximately $250-$300.
NAME-Cuba 2019 Cultural/Professional Research & Exchange Trip Overview
Group orientation in Florida (required)
group travel to Cuba
explore Santa Clara, including:
- walking tour
- the Ernesto “Che” Guevara Museum and Memorial
- Armored Train monument
- Arts Education Community Project
- visit El Mejunje, (the 1st center in Cuba to work against homophobia and any type of discrimination & to promote respect, social values and provide a safe gather place & social space for all)
explore Cienfuego, including:
- walking tour
- school visit
- student performance
- meeting with educators
explore Matanzas, including:
- visit secondary school and exchange with teachers about this Educational sub-system
- visit Pedagogical University of Matanzas
- visit Ruta del Esclavo Museum
explore Havana, including
- walking tour in Old Havana -- including Plaza San Francisco, Plaza Vieja, Plaza de Armas, Cathedral
- visit the Martin Luther King Center
- visit the Cuban Literacy Campaign Museum, meet with Director
- visit Fuster Community Arts Project
- visit a special education school
- special Cuban Thanksgiving Dinner
- visit the Revolution Square
- meeting with members of the Cuba-NAME Chapter & community project
- participate in community service project
- cultural activity with the Afro-Cuban community dance project
- farewell party with Cuban friends
group return to Florida
*This is a general overview and is subject to change
Registration Requirements and Deadlines
Application Deadline -- September 15
Registration Deadline -- September 20
If application is accepted, the following is required to confirm space:
Submit via registration system--
- copy of valid passport
- signed OFAC form
- completed registration form
- NAME waiver form
- Deposit accepted via mail or Cash App
~ $500 deposit
~$500 single room fee, if applicable
- Deposit and applicable additional fee must be received by deadline
Final Payment Deadline -- October 20
- Final payment amount -- $2295
- Final payment must be received by deadline
FEE NOTICE: The prices for this trip are based on a group of 18-24, if the group size falls below these numbers the price may increase by up to $200 to cover the cost of the planned activities in Cuba. We should know the total size of the group by September 30.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The guidelines and requirements to visit Cuba from the US have changed. As a result, we have made some changes to our program. I believe the changes have actually made the program better.
During this trip there will be many opportunities to learn, research and gather information to present at the NAME Conference and other venues about education, diversity and the group experience in Cuba. All group delegates are invited to gather information, photos, etc to contribute to presentations planned for NAME 2020, KAME 2020 and other venues. Participants are also welcome to do research for their own projects, as approved by NAME-Cuba coordinators, as well.
If you are interested in participating, please request a link to the application by contacting Cuba@NAMEorg.org
You are welcome to forward this email to others who may interested in traveling to Cuba with NAME.
If they would like to submit an application please have them email Cuba@NAMEorg.org
If you have any questions, please contact us at Cuba@NAMEorg.org---
National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME)